JPS Solutions personnel have helped design multiple public charter school programs and have written successful charter school applications for seven high-performing charter schools, including a charter school with a student population comprised exclusively of children with autism and other severe developmental disorders and an early college academy charter school. We have also advised several charter school development teams and assisted them in designing and writing successful charter applications for three additional schools, including two “last chance” transfer high schools for over-aged, under-credited high school students. We’ve worked with community leaders, community-based organizations, colleges and nonprofit organizations from the earliest stages of development though the approval and opening of their charter schools and beyond.
If you and/or your organization are interested in developing a charter school, we can help. We’ll work with you to
- Assess whether a starting a charter school is the most appropriate way to accomplish your educational and youth development goals
- Build your charter school development team and recruit an effective founding Board of Trustees
- If your state has more than one charter school authorizer, analyze them to determine which one is most appropriate for your proposed charter school
- Engage in research and planning to design your school’s academic program and operational and governance systems
- Align your charter school model with ESSA and state learning standards, charter school and other relevant laws and the requirements of your charter authorizer
- Help you understand the charter application and authorization process
- Review the requirements of your state or authorizer’s Request for Applications and related documents
- Establish partnerships as needed to help fulfill your charter school mission and program
- Write your charter application narrative sections and supporting materials
- Create your charter school’s By-laws, Code of Ethics, Discipline Policy (including restorative justice and other non-punitive measures as appropriate), Personnel policies and related documents
- Develop your charter school’s budget and financial management policies
- Advise you regarding public and community outreach and your public communications plan
- Communicate on your behalf with the authorizer of your proposed charter school
- Once approved, facilitate pre-opening planning and advise you regarding student, teacher and Principal recruitment, facilities acquisition, admissions lotteries, Board meetings and governance and establishing policies, practices and procedures to ensure the successful launch and operation of your charter school.